Quick Research Tips for VetSci
Researching a topic? The on-line services on the Resnick Library website offer access to our on-line reference shelf and on-line journals where you can find articles and information on your topic. The Resnick Library website also allows you to connect with Resnick Librarians for research help using AIM (resnicklibrary), email or phone.
Why use on-line journals (also called periodicals)?
- You are usually able to print the full article, so you will have it right in front of you!
- Journal articles are authoritative and much better than a random internet search
- Journals typically will print special issues on various topics in your field, and
- Journal articles will list ‘References’ at the end that will lead to further research and information.
Let’s say we want to find articles which compare and/or review software used in Veterinary practice.
You could use any of the periodicals (journals) which we offer either on-line or in print format in Resnick Library (see attached file for complete listing).
Here’s how you do it: Choose an on-line journal or journal index and begin your search.
- Choose Agricola (on-line journal index) from our All E-resources by Subject page under the heading Veterinary Science.
- Notice you can do a keyword, basic or advanced search. The page will default to a keyword search.
- Type in search terms such as software, veterinary practice, etc.
- When you receive your returned results, scroll through and find a title or titles that you think best suit your topic (in this case ‘Paperless Practice’ looks good).
- Click on the titles and note the journal name, volume & number, date, and page #’s (in this example, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Vol. 1:1, June 1, 2001, p. 1776-1777).
Chances are, we have this journal article in the Library and can either copy it for you (and fax, mail, email etc) or you can Inter Library Loan the article from another institution.
- Let’s try the same search in PubMed (listed under Nursing/Health on All E-Resources by Subject page, don’t be afraid to try databases in other disciplines)
- Click on ‘All Databases’ on the top black navigation bar.
- Enter in our search terms ‘Software and Veterinary Practice’, click go.
- You’ll see 457 returned results in PubMed Central (free, full text articles), so let’s check that out. Click on the number 457.
- Lot’s of good titles here! You can either click on the summary to see what the article is about, or click on the PDF which will give you the full text to read.
You can see that in just a few steps, you can easily find articles and information you will need for just about any topic!
There are many different databases, journals and journal indexes for you to search in, don’t forget we are closer than you think, and will help you anytime!